This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Self Certificates

You do not need a self certificate if you are unwell for 3 days or less. If you have been sick for more than 4 days in a row, but less than 7 days, you can selfy-certify your illness using a SC2 form.  You can obtain this form from your employer, GP surgery or by visiting the HMRC Website.  If you are unwell for more than 4 days you are advised to arrange an appointment to see a Doctor to assess your fitness to work/ College.

Statement of Fitness for Work - (GP Sick line)

The Doctor will provide you with a Statement of Fitness for Work (Fit Note) if you are off work for more that 7 days if you are still not well enough to work.  Your employer will most likely request this statement as evidence to support payment of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

For more information see the DirectGov Website (where this information was sourced).

Private Certificates

If you or your employer require further information concerning your period(s) of illness, then your Doctor may require to issue you with a letter.  Please note that a charge of £10 will apply for this service.

Certificates for Students

The Practice does not routinely issue letters for periods of sickness that may occur during your term time for your University/ College.  If you require a letter regarding your health problems, then this can be done by the GP, but you will be charged £10 for any such letter. Requests for letters can take up to 5 days.

NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website